Baked Seafood Dip with Dawadawa
December 3, 2021 by Amethyst Ganaway
Fiery scotch bonnet peppers and umami-packed ground dawadawa transform this classic dip into a guest-worthy appetizer featuring some of our favorite West African ingredients. It goes well with light and crispy Sea Salt Fonio Chips and a chilled glass of white wine. Perfect for holiday menus, football watching, or anytime you’re craving a bit of decadence.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces lump crab meat, drained
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, cooked, and cooled, then roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ scotch bonnet*, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground dawadawa from an international or African spice market
- *If you can’t find scotch bonnets, swap in habanero pepper.
- 01 .
Preheat the oven to 350℉. In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream for about 2-3 minutes at high speed until the ingredients are fluffy. Gently fold in crab meat, shrimp, half of the mozzarella, half of the chopped green onion, garlic, hot pepper, and half of the dawadawa. Season to taste with salt.
- 02 .
Spoon dip into an oven safe baking dish and top with remaining cheese and dawadawa. Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Carefully remove from the oven and let sit for 4 minutes before serving with Yolélé Fonio Chips.