Crunchy Kale + Cabbage Fonio Salad
March 16, 2021 by Max Baroni
This fonio and kale salad is a snappy twist on a grain bowl featuring fresh veggies and a simple homemade citrusy yogurt herb dressing, making it a healthy and hearty side dish or light lunch.
Don’t skip on pickling your own onions! It is a simple and useful little skill to have in your cooking arsenal. Be sure to make extra, they’ll last up to two weeks in the fridge and are perfect for sandwiches, tacos, or a simple garnish.
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Fresno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or honey)
- 4 cups chopped + destemmed kale
- ½ head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 pouch Afro-Funk Fonio Pilaf, cooked according to package and cooled
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 01 .
First pickle the onions: combine water, vinegar, coriander, peppercorns, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan and warm over medium heat until just boiling.
- 02 .
Pour the mixture over onion and peppers in a heat-proof container. Cover and cool in the fridge.
- 03 .
Then make the dressing. Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk with a fork until well mixed.
- 04 .
To prepare the salad, rinse chopped kale under cold water and massage gently by scrunching the greens with your hands.
- 05 .
In a large bowl, combine kale with sliced cabbage, fonio, pomegranate, pumpkin seeds, and pickled onions and toss until well mixed.
- 06 .
Add yogurt dressing, toss, and serve.
Nachoscon Carnede Resw/ Sea SaltFonio Chips