Curried Fonio Pilaf
June 13, 2019 by Claire Alsup
Our fluffy fonio pilaf takes on vibrancy and flavor from curry spices and cooks faster than rice. Vegan, gluten-free, and topped with fresh herbs and pomegranate jewels.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions (small, ¼-½ in)
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes (¼-½ inch), about 1 large potato
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed + strained)
- 4 cups cooked Yolélé fonio
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch mint, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 01 .
Add oil into a large saucepan and place it on the stove over medium heat.
- 02 .
Add onions, sweet potato, salt, and mix well.
- 03 .
Add curry powder and stir frequently (about 8 minutes, do not let onions burn).
- 04 .
Turn heat to medium-low, add ginger and chickpeas. Mix well.
- 05 .
Add more oil if the mixture seems dry, continue to cook for 2-4 minutes.
- 06 .
Gently fold in cooked fonio. Take the mixture off the heat and transfer to a bowl. Allow to cool.
- 07 .
Before serving, mix in pomegranate seeds, lemon juice, and chopped herbs.