Egyptian Rose Sweet Fonio
by Zoey Gong
Traditionally made with couscous, this dessert is light, fluffy, mildly sweet, and extremely fragrant with the addition of roses, cinnamon, and clove. With fonio, there is added nuttiness and nutrients in this easy-to-make dessert. Besides pomegranate and OJ, you can use any fruits and fruit juice you desire.
- 1/2 cup dry Yolélé fonio
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon golden raisins
- 3 tablespoon chopped blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoon chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dried rose petals
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 01 .
In a medium saucepan, bring orange juice, rose water, and fonio to boil, cover, remove from heat & let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- 02 .
Fluff fonio with a fork and add coconut oil and golden raisins to the pot.
- 03 .
Add almonds, pistachios, sugar, cinnamon, clove, rose petals, and pomegranates to the pot. Combine and serve.