Nut Butter & Jam Fonio Porridge
by Amethyst Ganaway
This fonio porridge bowl is jam-packed (pun intended!) with flavor thanks to sour cherry and ginger jam. A swirl of your favorite nut butter adds some satiating fat and flavor, and if you like, a bit of crunch. We recommend topping with cherries, coconut flakes, dark chocolate, and granola to round out this nourishing bowl.
- 1 tablespoon neutral flavored oil or butter
- ½ cup uncooked Yolélé fonio
- 1 ½ cups oat, almond or other milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons jam (we like Trade Street Jam Sour Cherry Ginger Jam)
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (we like GroundUp Chunky Almond, Cashew + Coconut Nut Butter)
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh dark cherries, pits removed
- 2 teaspoons coconut flakes
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons granola
- 01 .
In a saucepan with a lid, toast the fonio on medium heat for about 2 minutes with oil or butter.
- 02 .
Turn heat to high, add the milk of your choice, and bring to up to a boil. Stir fonio, cover, and turn the heat to low for 1-2 minutes.
- 03 .
Turn off the heat and let sit covered for five minutes, until thick and fonio grain is tender. If you like a more liquid porridge, stir in an extra half cup of milk after the five-minute rest.
- 04 .
Add Trade Street Sour Cherry Ginger Jam, GroundUp Chunky Almond, Cashew, + Coconut Nut Butter, and various toppings to your liking and enjoy!