Slow Cooked Lamb Fonio Tabouleh
July 18, 2017 by Chef Pierre Thiam
Inspired by North African tabouleh, this version with Yolélé fonio is a delicious combination full of flavors and colors. The lamb is so tender when shredded that it seems to melt into the fonio. The salad is bright and fresh with cucumber and herbs, and is also a great way to use up leftover lamb dibi.
- 2 lamb shanks (about 1¼ pounds each)
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled, crushed with the side of a knife
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked Yolélé fonio
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bunch mint, leaves finely chopped
- 1 kirby cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup microgreens or baby arugula
- 1/2 cup small green olives, pitted (optional)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 strong pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 01 . To prepare the lamb
Preheat the oven to 225°F.
- 02 .
In a large oven-safe pot, such as a Dutch oven, combine the lamb shanks, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook for 5 hours, or until the lamb is very tender.
- 03 .
Remove from the oven and let the lamb cool in the liquid until it is easy to handle.
- 04 .
Remove the lamb from the cooking liquid and set aside. Strain the cooking liquid into a small pot and discard the solids.
- 05 .
Over high heat, reduce the liquid by half. Set aside to cool and skim and discard the fat that rises to the top.
- 06 .
While the cooking liquid is reducing, shred the lamb and discard the bones, fat, and membranes. Season the lamb with salt and pepper to taste.
- 07 . To prepare the vinaigrette
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the reduced cooking liquid, the lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper and whisk to dissolve the salt. Slowly pour in the oil, whisking constantly to emulsify.
- 08 . To prepare the tabouleh
Place the fonio in a large bowl and add the shredded lamb, parsley, mint, cucumber, tomatoes, and microgreens. Toss well and generously fold in the vinaigrette to taste, you may have some left over. Top with the olives (if using). Serve immediately.