by Claire Alsup
We love this combination of crunchy vegetables, herbs and sweet-spicy-tangy sauce with fonio. Recipe below, but feel free to add your own spin: adjust the sauce ingredients to taste, swap out veggies depending on what you have on hand or what looks good in the market!
- 1/2 cup of fonio
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- crunchy vegetables (such as carrots and watermelon radish), thinly sliced
- Fresh greens like cilantro, green onion and pea shoots, roughly chopped
- starchy vegetables such as sweet potato, chopped and roasted and squash
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste (or peel + grate fresh ginger)
- 1 tablespoon rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 a lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 01 .
Make fonio: Coat ½ cup fonio well with 1 teaspoon oil in a medium pot. Turn heat to high, add 1 cup water & bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and stir. Cover and turn to low heat for 1 minute. Off heat, keep covered and let rest for 4 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and set aside. ⠀⠀
- 02 .
Make the sauce: in a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Season to taste with more salt, honey, and/or sriracha. If necessary, add more water to the sauce so that it is drizzle-able.
- 03 .
Plate cooled fonio and garnish with sliced veggies. Drizzle with sauce and top with chopped roasted peanuts + sliced red chili.