Fonio Peach Porridge
February 2, 2021 by Amethyst Ganaway
This comforting breakfast bowl is slightly sweet and warming from the vanilla, coconut sugar, and cinnamon. We recommend using almond milk which goes really well with the natural nuttiness of fonio. Add fruit, fresh mint or herbs, nuts, and seeds for a well-balanced dish to help keep you boosted throughout the day. Remix this bowl to utilize whatever ingredients you have already at home.
- 1 tablespoon butter or plant-based spread
- ¼ cup uncooked Yolélé Fonio
- 1 cup vanilla almond or other milk of your choice, divided in half
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sliced peaches (frozen and thawed, or canned peaches work as well)
- blueberries and blackberries, or strawberries, bananas, raspberries
- almonds, walnuts, or pecans
- Chia, flax seeds, or buckwheat groats
- Fresh mint
- 01 .
In a small saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. When the butter is foamy and fully melted after about 1 minute, add uncooked fonio and stir well until all fonio is coated with the butter. Add 1/2 cup of almond milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir and raise heat to bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce heat, cover pot, and cook over low heat for one minute.
- 02 .
After one minute, turn off the heat and let fonio rest, covered, for an additional four minutes. Fluff fonio, and add more milk to your liking, heating over gentle, low heat until porridge reaches the consistency you like.
- 03 .
Add sliced peach, berries, mint, pecans or other nuts, and seeds of your choice. Enjoy!