October 10, 2022 by Reina Gascon-Lopez
A fun play on my favorite rice dish, arroz con gandules, this quick salad gets some depth from fresh sofrito and pigeon peas. Another staple across the diaspora, this bean (even though it’s called a pea due to its small size), has an earthy, nutty taste and easily pairs with bold flavors found in many cuisines throughout Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Southern Asia. I used dried pigeon peas that I soaked and cooked the night prior (which I prefer), but you can definitely use canned pigeon peas to save yourself even more time! Just make sure to drain and rinse them first. If you aren’t able to find a frozen succotash mix in your local grocery store, you can substitute ½ cup of frozen sweet corn and ½ cup of shelled edamame or small lima beans.
- 2 tablespoons neutral cooking oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sofrito (see provided recipe)
- 1 cup pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen succotash mix
- 1 teaspoon sazón spice blend, homemade or store-bought (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo spice blend, homemade or store-bought (see note)
- 3/4 cup cooked Yolèlè Yassa! Onion Lime Chili Pilaf
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Note: depending on the brand of sazón and adobo, make sure to adjust your due to their varying salt content. Start small, taste, and adjust to your liking!
- 01 .
Cook the Yolèlè Yassa! Onion Lime Chili Pilaf according to package instructions. Fluff with a fork and set aside while working on the rest of the salad.
- 02 .
In a large frying pan, add the oil and heat over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and sauté until slightly translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- 03 .
Stir in the sofrito, cooking until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- 04 .
Next, stir in the pigeon peas and frozen succotash mix, seasoning with sazón and adobo. Cook the mixture and heat the vegetables through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- 05 .
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pea mixture and fonio, tossing together gently. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Garnish with sliced green onion and enjoy!